2 Healthy Dip Recipes (Paleo, Dairy-free, Gluten-free)
Entertaining guests and in need of some simple, healthy dip ideas?
As you rush out to the store, you might be surprised to find that many pre-made dips contain sneaky traces of gluten and dairy. Even those seemingly “healthy” dips often include cheap seed oils, which we know are harmful to our health. The best option: make your own dip at home!
These 3 dips are 100% paleo, gluten + dairy free and above all… healthy! We would really emphasise when making these recipes that you use a high quality extra virgin olive oil (that hasn’t been on the shelf too long!). This will ensure that the delicate fatty acids haven’t become damaged, so that you can really reap all the benefits of these healthy fats!
Read on for 2 of our favourite Paleo Dip recipes:
#1 – Paleo Pumpkin ‘Hummus’
If you’re after a “hummus” recipe that’s paleo approved, this pumpkin hummus is an absolute winner!
Despite being touted as a “health food”, hummus is generally not considered paleo as it is traditionally made from chickpeas (a legume). Although we don’t tend to worry too much about legumes (and even enjoy regular hummus on occasion!) this recipe is perfect if you’re after a legume-free alternative!
Note: this recipe also works well without the cashews, though we love to add them for some texture!
- 500g jap pumpkin (uncooked)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked for up to 6 hours)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- Dice pumpkin into medium sized chunks and coat with coconut oil, ground cumin and paprika in a small bowl. Transfer onto a lined baking tray and roast in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and blend in a food processor with the garlic, cashews, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until you have a smooth consistency.
Click to download our Paleo Pumpkin “Hummus” recipe card.
#2 – Paleo Basil + Cashew Dip
For a dip that’s tasty and simple, we can’t go past this basil + cashew dip!
This is a great option if you’re looking to start incorporating more herbs into your diet. Apart from tasting amazing, this dip is packed with fresh basil that’s rich in flavonoid antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup cashews (soaked for up to 6 hours)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt + pepper
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until the fresh basil and nuts have broken down.
Click to download our Paleo Basil + Cashew Dip.