Gut Healing Chicken Soup (GF, DF)
If you’ve followed this blog or our YouTube for a while now, you’ll know it’s no secret that gut health is our #1.
And it’s not just about correcting digestive complaints. Poor gut health is not always obvious, and at the same time it affects almost every area of our health and wellbeing. That’s why we’re strong believers that no matter what your health goals are (e.g. clearer skin, weight loss or more energy), a happy + well functioning gut will help you get there!
Today’s recipe is all about soothing and nourishing the gut: healing chicken soup. This dish is easy to prepare, and loaded with root vegetables that are easy on digestion and promote a healthy inner ecosystem! Ginger + garlic also give this soup an anti-inflammatory kick and support immune function – perfect if you’re fighting a cold or flu!
Cooking times provided are for the stovetop, but feel free to use your slow cooker (increasing cooking times accordingly, i.e. start in the morning!).
- Whole free range, organic chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 small pumpkin
- thumb of ginger
- handful fresh thyme
- salt + pepper, to taste.
- Place the whole chicken, breast side down, in a large pot and cover with the broth and filtered water. Add the herbs (roughly chopped), salt and pepper.
- Simmer at a medium heat for 45 – 60 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Hint: The chicken should break apart easily. Remove any grey impurities that float to the top as needed.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the onion, zucchini, carrots and pumpkin. Finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- Remove the chicken from the liquid, and cool for a few minutes on a large chopping board. Carve up the chicken, discarding the bones (or keeping for later – great for broths!).
- If you’re confident that all bones have been removed from the liquid, go ahead and add all of the vegetables. If you’re unsure – cool and strain first!
- Simmer the vegetables for around 30 minutes to soften, before adding the carved chicken. Add extra salt and pepper, to taste… and it’s ready to serve. Enjoy!!
True Health + Beauty Starts in the Gut
Get Glowing Online is an online course designed to guide you step-by-step through the diet + lifestyle changes that support inner health.
In other words… naturally glowing skin, balanced weight and vibrant health!
Click here to learn more about Get Glowing Online.