Paleo Brownies (In The Slow Cooker!)
If you think that your slow cooker is just for hearty soups and stews, then think again, friend! Today we’re sharing our new favourite dessert recipe made IN the slow cooker. Paleo brownies! 😛
The beauty of “baking” in the slow cooker is that the outer edge of your paleo brownie gets nice and crisp, while the middle stays soft and fudgy. Most slow cookers also have a clear lid, so it’s SUPER easy to keep an eye on them. This means less chance of overcooking and winding up with a dry batch of brownies (boo!).
As the name suggests, these paleo brownies cook slowly (up to 2 hours in the cooker!). Now, that may sound like forever but it’s actually pretty handy. For instance, if you like your dessert straight from the oven like we do! Just pop your paleo brownie mix into the slow cooker before preparing dinner. They’ll be ready to eat by dessert + Netflix time. Perfect!
Of course, these paleo brownies are gluten and dairy free and stay away from refined sugar. They’re also high in fat and therefore quite energy dense, so they make for a good snack on the run.
Hot tip: These brownies are extra delicious with a swirl of nut butter, or if you’re feeling rebellious – peanut butter #paleonotpaleo.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 90g dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 1 – 2 tbsp peanut butter (not paleo!) or your favourite nut butter
- Line your slow cooker with baking paper
- In a large bowl, combine the tapioca flour, almond meal, raw cacao powder, baking powder and sea salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, honey and coconut oil and mix well
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well, checking for any lumps or dry pockets
- Roughly chop the dark chocolate into chocolate-chip sized pieces and stir through
- If adding peanut butter or nut butter, stir it through gently. For a nice ‘swirl’ effect, it’s best not to overwork the mixture at this step!
- Put your paleo brownie mixture into the slow cooker and spread evenly
- Set your slow cooker to “low” for 2 hours and put on the lid. When 30 minutes remain, take the lid off and continue until the centre is cooked. Keep in mind that cook times will vary depending on the size and heat of your slow cooker. We recommend that you poke your brownie occasionally to make sure it’s not becoming overcooked or dry!
- Lift out the brownie and cool for a new minutes on a wire rack. Then, dig in while it’s still hot!
Did you try the recipe? Let us know what you thought in the comments!
Get access to a printable copy of our paleo brownies to add to your collection!