Paleo Sweet Potato + Rocket Salad
Short on lunch ideas? This paleo sweet potato and rocket salad is simple to make and serves as a balanced meal for on-the-go.
Including cook time, this recipe will take around 40 minutes to prepare and can be stored in the fridge for a good few day’s worth of lunches. Sweet potato provides a great source of clean carbohydrate, while the walnuts, pinenuts, coconut and olive oil provide some healthy fats to keep you going.
We recommend adding your preferred protein source to this salad. Our favourite for portability is tinned (wild-caught) salmon. If you can find tinned salmon with the bones included, this makes for a great bioavailable source of calcium and other key minerals. Other protein sources you could use include tinned tuna, sardines, a boiled egg, grilled chicken, beef…the possibilities are endless!
Serves 2 – increase accordingly for meal prep!
- 2 cups washed rocket
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- handful walnuts
- 2 tbsp pinenuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Line a baking tray and start pre-heating your oven to 180°C (356°F)
2. Prep the ingredients by peeling your sweet potato and chopping into bite size pieces, and slicing the 1/2 onion into 4 chunks
3. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato, onion, coconut oil and cinnamon. Also – don’t forget to add a good few grinds of salt and pepper!
4. Lay out the sweet potato and onion on your baking tray, and pop into the oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is turning golden
5. Meanwhile, to toast the walnuts and pinenuts, add them to a pan on low heat and stir continuously for at least 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them – we want the nuts to get nice and crunchy, not burnt!
6. Once your potato and onion is cooked, combine all ingredients, and dress with the olive oil and apple cider vinegar
Optional: We recommend adding a protein source to the salad. For on-the-go, we like to use tinned wild-caught salmon!
Get access to a printable copy of our Sweet Potato + Rocket Salad recipe via our FREE resource library