Spiced (Sugar Free!) Hot Chocolate
I’ve always been a hot chocolate girl at heart. There’s just something about it that is so comforting and soul-soothing – perfect for a chilly night in or a lazy morning.
I’ll admit, when I started eating ‘clean’ and ditching the processed, sugar-laden junk a few years ago, my Nestle hot chocolate didn’t make the cut and coffee became my go-to. Only recently have I been experimenting with hot chocolate again – and I’m pretty happy with the results!
Not only is this spiced hot chocolate guiltless and sugar-free – it’s actually healing and nourishing for your body. Turmeric has been all the hype lately, praised for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Interestingly, it’s also been suggested that the low incidence of Alzheimer’s and dementia in India is due in part to their large consumption of turmeric. Luckily, turmeric has a mild flavour which is pretty much undetectable in small amounts, and this recipe has become my favourite way to incorporate a little turmeric into my diet daily!
All you’ll need:
- 1 tsp Cacao
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia – Chocolate flavour
- Cream/ Coconut milk/ Full cream milk (Personally, I prefer cream. Don’t fear the fat!)
- In your mug, mix 1 tsp cacao, 1/8 tsp of cinnamon and a pinch of turmeric.
- Add your hot water and mix well (vital to prevent a final mouthful of dry, clumpy cacao! Trust me!)
- Add a good dash of cream, coconut milk or full cream milk. I alternate between cream and coconut milk depending on how I’m feeling, but cream will give it the richest (yummiest!) flavour. Then, squeeze in a few drops of chocolate stevia (this stuff is the bomb) for a touch of sweetness!
- Snuggle up and get cosy!
What do you think of this sugar free hot chocolate? Are there any ways that you like to incorporate turmeric into your everyday?