Summer Eco Beauty Essentials
Looking for natural, eco friendly beauty products that stand up to the summer heat?
As Australians, I may say that Amy and I know a thing or two about summer beauty products 😉 Products that flatter + protect the skin, enhance a summer glow and stand up to salt, sweat and humidity.
We also test many natural, consciously formulated beauty products because we care deeply about the type and quality of ingredients that we (and you – our readers!) apply to our skin. We’re happy to report that there are a growing number of healthy and effective products available that even stand up to the demands of a hot summer’s day.
Read on for the scoop on our favourite, tried-and-true summer eco beauty essentials!
All Over Glow – Eco Tan + Acure Body Oil
- Eco Tan Face Tan Water: If you’re looking for a gradual and flattering self tanner for the face, I wouldn’t go past this little gem by Eco Tan. Known for its organic ingredient list and aloe vera base, the Eco Tan Face Water also gives an incredibly natural and buildable tan for the face and neck. A standout amongst other similar products I’ve tried. For the best results, dampen a cotton pad and apply evenly to the face, neck and chest. Before you’re done, also remember to buff the product in around your hairline and brows – this keeps the result looking completely natural. You can build up the tan to your desired colour by applying each day for 2 – 3 days.
- Eco Tan Invisible Tan: This is certainly a popular product, and for good reason! As you’d guess, this self tanner also uses all organic ingredients, so you can feel good about applying it to your skin. I find this to be extra important in a body tanning product, as it’s applied to such a large surface area. Invisible Tan is a very moisturising formulation, and can be applied generously all over using the hands (and a mitt for trickier areas such as the tops of hands, fingers and feet). Within 8 hours, the product develops into a deep, warm tan that’s believable even for fairer skin tones. Note: It has no guide colour, which is great for your sheets but also demands a bit more attention during application to avoid missed spots.
- Acure’s Dry Oil Body Spray in Coconut: Yes, it’s possible to buy summer time in a bottle. Acure’s Dry Oil Body Spray in Coconut is a perfectly light and quickly absorbed body oil with a tropical scent that’s sure to put a smile on your face! The dry marula and argan oil formulation also contains sea buckthorn, sandalwood and Vitamin E to moisturise and protect the skin. What we also love about Acure’s Dry Body Oil is its ability as a multi-tasker. In particular, the product is light enough to moisturise dry hair without weighing it down. So think of this as your body moisturiser, leave-in conditioner and perfume all-in-one!
Complexion – Juice Beauty, Eco Minerals + Zuii Organics
- Juice Beauty Stem Cellular CC Cream: When I first tried this product, I knew my search for a flattering, everyday SPF product was finally over. Juice Beauty’s Stem Cellular CC Cream comes in a range of tinted shades, and is packed with organic ingredients and fruit based antioxidants. What impresses me most about this product is its zinc oxide based SPF of 30 (non-nano), and non-greasy texture. While the finish of Juice Beauty’s CC Cream certainly is on the glowy, dewy side, I’d hardly believe I was wearing a zinc based sunscreen. The product also gives a light and very flattering coverage, which means you can either skip or go minimal on foundation. If you’re curious, my shade (having a relatively fair skintone with yellow undertones) is “Desert Glow”.
- Eco Minerals Flawless Foundation: Summer skin needs to breathe! If you live in more humid climes or are very active, opting for a mineral foundation will be much more comfortable to wear throughout the day + provide added SPF protection. And despite what you may think, modern mineral makeups can also provide a radiant, youthful finish – far from dry or powdery. Unfortunately many mineral makeup products (even those marketed as “natural”) include synthetic ingredients, e.g. bismuth oxychloride, which have the potential to irritate sensitive skins. Eco Minerals Flawless Foundation keeps a simple and clean ingredient list including mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide and kaolin clay (excellent for absorbing excess oil or moisture throughout the day). It offers a medium, buildable coverage that still allows the natural skin’s glow to show through – a great paring with the Juice Beauty CC Cream. Using a stiff eyeshadow brush, this product also multitasks as a concealer for blemishes and under the eyes. And if you were in need of any further SPF protection, Eco Minerals Flawless Foundation provides an SPF of 24. A summer makeup bag essential, hands down!
- Eco Minerals Mineral Bronzer in “Eco Exotic”: After foundation, we love to go in with a good bronzer – especially during the warmer months. Eco Minerals Mineral Bronzer is another everyday essential, which boasts the same squeaky clean ingredient list as the Flawless Foundation. I believe it comes in one shade, “Eco Exotic”, which flatters almost all skin tones. This is a warm shade perfect for all over bronzing. It’s best to go in with a large, fluffy brush to sweep the product across the forehead, under the cheekbones, across the nose and down the neck. Two more things to mention about Eco Minerals: 1) they offer product refills (which help your wallet and the environment!). 2) they feature a closable applicator (see image above) – which make them zero-mess travel companions. It’s the little things in life!
- Zuii Certified Organic Flora Blush in “Melon”: I personally wear this blush every. single. day. What more can I say? Zuii’s Flora Blush in “Melon” is a beautiful peachy pink with a warm golden shimmer (think glowy sheen, not metallic or frosty). It’s the perfect accompaniment to golden summer skin, and the step I love most after applying bronzer! The ingredients are outstanding, as is the product performance. This blush is buildable, long wearing and universally flattering – a great addition to any natural makeup collection!
P.S. To harp on my love for the Zuii Flora Blush, can we just take a moment for its amazing ingredient list:
rosa damascena (rose) buds*, jasminum officinale (jasmine) buds*, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower*, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) powder*, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, chamomilla recutita (chamomile) flower extract*, equisetum arvense, (horsetail) extract*, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf extract*, magnesium stearate, d alpha tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglycerides
* = certified organic
Related: How To Get Clearer Skin, Naturally
Lips & Eyes – Bite Beauty, Neek, RMS + Living Nature
- Neek Lipstick in “Sunsets”: During the summer, there’s nothing more flattering than pairing warm peachy pinks on the cheeks and lips. Neek Skin Organics Lipstick in “Sunsets” contains all natural, nourishing ingredients – many of which are certified organic. This lipstick gives a medium coverage, peachy hue with a subtle shimmer that adds fullness and dimension to the lips. We’re also a big fan of the eco-chic bamboo packaging – a no-brainer for the holiday makeup bag!
- Bite Beauty Lushfruit Lip Gloss in “Peach”: Something about lip gloss in the summer has such a lush, youthful feel. And fortunately, there are many natural lip glosses now on the market that exclude petroleum based ingredients. Bite Beauty’s Lushfruit Lip Gloss includes 100% food grade ingredients, and smell like a fruit smoothie. If you prefer glosses with a little more colour staying power (i.e. erring slightly toward the tacky side), you’ll enjoy this product. I find this wears for a good few hours, thanks to its non-slippery texture.
- Living Nature Thickening Mascara in “Blackened Brown”: Humidity + sweat can be a troublesome combination when it comes to your mascara. Living Nature’s Thickening Mascara is my current favourite due to its drier, waxy formulation that stands up to the elements without flaking or smudging. If you’re blonde and lightening up for the summer, I’d suggest the shade “Blackened Brown”. It’s just a touch off black and gives a more natural, pretty look.
- RMS Beauty Eyepolish in “Solar”: We’ve featured this product on the blog before as a standout favourite from the RMS Beauty line. Using all organic ingredients on a coconut oil base, RMS Beauty Eyepolish is a great choice for sensitive eyes. For summer, the shade “Solar” is the perfect sweep of bronzy gold for the lids. Apply with fingers and blend for a completely fuss-free eye makeup.
Scent – Leahlani Mahana Perfume Oil
Summer days call for warm and sweeter scents. Unfortunately, the majority of mainstream fragrances use synthetic ingredients that are not ideal to be applied to the skin and inhaled all day.
Thankfully there are many gorgeous alternatives to conventional perfume that use organic ingredients and essential oils. Our #1 pick for this summer is Leahlani’s Organic Mahana Perfume Oil. This fresh, tropical scent of coconut and vanilla truly is like sunshine in a bottle. Mahana Perfume Oil is blended in a base of organic and cold pressed oils, with organic essential oils and organic extracts. Apply to pulse points with the roller ball applicator, and pop into your bag for on-the-go!
Hair – Innersense Colour Awakening Hairbath + Radiance Daily Conditioner
It can be hard to come by haircare products that are both consciously formulated and effective. Innersense Pure Harmony Hairbath Shampoo and Color Radiance Daily Conditioner have you covered! This combo uses organically grown and certified organic ingredients, and is free of harmful preservatives and cleansing agents such as SLS. Your hair is left feeling light and moisturised with the delicate citrus scent of orange flower essential oil.
Following the links above, both products are available in either a full 250ml or 60ml travel size. Perfect companions for summer weekends away!
Nails – Sienna Byron Bay
Perfectly painted nails are a joy at any time of year, but even more so on summer holiday! We’ve spoken about the pro’s and con’s of natural nail polishes on the blog before, and some of our natural nail polish picks.
New on our radar have been the 7-free nail polishes by Sienna Byron Bay. Not only are they beautifully packaged, Sienna polishes are quick drying and long wearing. The colour range is spot on and ever expanding – it’s hard not to be tempted!
The polishes above, from right to left, are: “Stormy”, 7-free base coat, and “Winter” – ironically my go-to shade for the summer (opaque light and white shades really enhance a tan!)
True Health + Beauty Starts in the Gut
Get Glowing Online is an online course designed to guide you step-by-step through the diet + lifestyle changes that support inner health.
In other words… naturally glowing skin, balanced weight and vibrant health!
Click here to learn more about Get Glowing Online.